Camp Hanes, located only 30 minutes from Winston-Salem, has been a destination for making outdoor memories for all ages since it opened in 1927. It is North Carolina’s longest-running recreational camp. We were fortunate to recently tour Camp to learn more about it and have some fun.
Not only does it offer the traditional summer resident camp experience, but is also has day-camp programs, outdoor educational programs, weekend winter camps, and welcomes conferences and group retreat events.
On its 400 acres nestled on the side of Sauratown Mountain, campers can enjoy a wide array of activities. We tried our hand at archery and did our best Katniss impressions. Some of the activities include:
- pool & lake swimming
- water slides
- zip-line & water zip-line
- horseback riding
- alpine tower
- rock climbing wall
- rifle safety
- outdoor educational programs such as a creek study
We heard testimony from parents whose kids were so thrilled with their camp experience they now come every year for two weeks. During our visit, a church youth group was holding a weekend retreat.
The programing is faith-based, designed around the ABC’s of Camp Hanes: Accomplishment, Belonging, and the Character traits of Faith, Honesty, respect responsibility and caring using Jesus Christ as a role model.
- Early Bird Discounts: Sign up for summer camp before December 31, 2015 to receive a discount of $100! The weeks fill up fast.
- PROMO CODE: MyWinston-Salem.com readers can receive $50 off when they mention “SUMMERCAMPBLOG” in the “How Did You Hear About Us” section of the registration form
- Sibling campers receive a $50 discount
- Current, active members of the YMCA of North West North Carolina receive a $50 discount.
- Host a home show and receive a $100 discount.
For more information visit www.camphanes.org.
Our site's mission is to help consumers make more informed purchase decisions. This post may contain affiliate links (marked with 'Affiliate\ when you hover over them) and we will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking through these links. Our website accepts financial compensation to allow us to provide this free service to you, our reader, while eliminating the need to clutter pages with advertisements. Compensation does not influence the rankings of products. More info on our disclosure page.