This post may contain affiliate links and we’ll be compensated if you make a purchase. This doesn’t affect rankings.
The First Street Draught House, lying on the outskirts of downtown, just below Baptist Hospital, on the corner of First Street and Hawthorne, offers some of Winston-Salem’s tastiest bar food. Whether you’re in the mood for a New Orleans French quarter style pizza, or a juicy mushroom burger, you’ll be happy you ordered what you did at Winston-Salem’s First Street Draught House…
- Restaurant Name: First Street Draught House
- Hours: 11am – 2am daily
- Established: 1980-something
- Address: 1500 W. First Street, Winston Salem, NC 27103
- Phone: (336) 722-6950
- Fax: (336) 725-3663
- Directions: Google Maps
- Quality: **** (Very Good)
- Pricing: $$ (Affordable)
- Overall: $3.95 – $14.95
- Appetizers: $3.95 – $8.50
- Entrees: $11.95 – $14.95
- Soups & Salads: $3.25 – $9.95
- Pizzas: $7.25 – $9.25
- Wraps: $5.95 – $10.50
- Burgers: $7.50 – $8.95
- Sandwiches: $5.95 – $9.95
- Brunch: $7.95 – $11.50
- Vegetarian Options: *** (Good)
- Patio: Yes, seats about 25-30 people total. Small high-rise tables with 4-5 seats each. The patio is self-service. You place your order inside and then your server brings it out to you on the patio.
- View: Not spectacular, you’re on the intersection of First and Hawthorne, but the patio is shielded by a couple trees and there’s a creek between the restaurant and the hospital.
- Seating: The inside is basically a giant U-shaped bar surrounded by little eating nooks that fit 4-6 people. There are about 10 of these, for a total capacity of 40-60 seats, plus standing room, for up to about 80-100 people.
- Service: The service is good and fast. The U-shaped bar allows bartenders to quickly take orders from many people at once and serve you without having to leave the bar.
- Beer on tap: Yes, 25+ beers on tap.
- Separate checks: Yes. You order at the bar and pick up your own food to carry out – so everything is attached to one tab. If you eat inside, they are great about splitting up your tab however you like.
First Street Draught House offers several vegetarian options, and it’s not difficult to separate out meat items from just about any dish and turn it into a vegetarian item. Strictly vegetarian items are marked with a green star (*) in the menu below. Pescatarian items (vegetarians that eat fish) are marked with a purple star (*).
Note that items such as the soup of the day are marked vegetarian by default, but at times may not be. Additionally, vegetarian items may include the option to add meat or fish to them (such as adding salmon to a salad).
Gas Station Goes Restaurant
First Street Draught House used to be an old gas station. That is until a couple decades ago when a truck fell off the old Interstate 40, just above the restaurant, and crashed down on its roof. The gas station was scrapped and a restaurant went up in its stead. Lucky for us Winstonites, because the First Street Draught House has hands down some of the best food in town.
First Street Draught House – Menu
Menu items and prices subject to change. If you see an item that is no longer on the menu, or one that needs to be added, please comment below!
- * Chips & Salsa ($3.95) : Red, blue and white corn tortilla chips served with a large side of housemade salsa.
- * Beer Battered Veggies ($6.95) : Mushrooms, zucchini and onions battered and deep fried, served with ranch dressing.
- Mesquite Cheddar Fries ($6.95) : Seasoned fries topped with bacon and cheddar cheese, served with ranch dressing.
- * Hummus ($6.95) : Our fresh, house made hummus has a hint of curry and is served with diced tomatoes, kalamata olives, toasted pita and tortilla chips.
- * Nachos ($6.95 | with chili $7.95) : Tortilla chips topped with the Famous housemade First Street black bean mix, melted cheddar cheese, salsa, sour cream and scallions.
- Chicken Fingers ($7.95) : Natty’s Pale Ale-battered deep fried chicken tenders; Housemade Buffalo wing sauce or honey mustard.
- Creeper Wings ($7.95) : Chicken wings basted in our house made hot or mild habanero BBQ sauce.
- * Spinach & Artichoke Dip ($7.50) : Complemented by parmesan cheese and tomatoes, served with pita bread and crackers.
- * Southwestern Queso Dip ($5.95) : Hot, melted queso with our house made black bean mix and diced jalapenos; served with tortilla chips.
- * Fried Asparagus ($5.95) : Fresh asparagus fried perfectly, served with a horseradish ranch dipping sauce.
- * Citrus Beer-Battered Shrimp ($7.95) : Shrimp dipped in our housemade citrus beer batter and fried golden brown. Served with a soy ginger dipping sauce.
- * Fried Tuna Bites ($8.50) : Yellow Fin tuna cubed and coated in our house made, seasoned breading. Fried to medium and served with our cucumber Wasabi dipping sauce.
- Grilled Pork Loin ($11.95) : Marinated grilled pork loin served with apple chutney, salad and your choice of one side.
- * Asian Tuna ($13.25) : Sesame-crusted tuna served with Wasabi creme raiche, served with salad and your choice of one side.
- Steak Plate ($14.95) : Grilled NY Strip steak topped with bleu cheese; served with salad and your choice of one side.
- * Captain’s Fish and Chips ($11.95 | add shrimp $13.95 | add crab cake $14.95) : Fried catfish served with Cole slaw, fries, and Remoulade, and hush puppies.
Soups & Salads
- * Soup Du Jour (cup $3.25 | bowl $4.25) : Soup of the day; ask your server for the daily selection.
- Bowl of Chili (cup $4.25 | bowl $5.95) : House made chili with fresh ground beef, tomatoes, beans and peppers; topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream and scallions and served with tortilla chips.
- * House Salad ($3.50) : Onion, tomato and cucumber over fresh mixed greens.
- * Fresh Garden Salad ($5.95 | add chicken $7.95 | add grilled tuna or shrimp $9.95) : Zucchini squash, mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion, and cucumber over fresh mixed greens.
- * Baja Medley ($6.50 | add chicken $8.50) : Seasoned black beans, shoe peg corn, green & red peppers, onions, and cheddar cheese over fresh mixed greens; 6.50 with chicken.
- * Caesar Salad ($6.50 | add chicken $8.50) : Romaine lettuce, croutons, and Parmesan cheese with Caesar dressing.
- * The Mix Up ($7.50) : Choose any two of the following: soup, salad, half a sandwich (sandwich choices: Chicken Salad, BLT, or Pimento Cheese).
- Chicken Scoop Salad ($7.50) : Hearty scoop of house made chicken salad with fresh tomatoes, sliced cucumbers, shredded carrots, and sliced almonds on a bed of mixed greens.
- * Greek Salad ($7.95 | add chicken $9.95) : Tomatoes, onions, Kalamata olives, banana peppers, cucumbers and crumbled feta cheese over mixed greens; served with our Lemon Vinaigrette on the side.
- Chef Salad ($8.25) Ham, turkey, bacon, shredded cheese, carrots, celery, and onion over fresh mixed greens.
- *Fried Oyster Salad ($8.95) : Classic oyster salad with onions, crumbled bacon, tomatoes and cucumbers over fresh spinach; served with our Dijon Balsamic Vinaigrette on the side.
- Cobb Salad ($8.25) : Grilled chicken, tomato,avacado,bleu cheese crumbles, and bacon bits over fresh mixed greens.
- Bleu Cheese
- Honey Mustard
- Oil & Vinegar
- Thousand Island
- Dijon Balsamic
- Orange Basil
- * Four Cheese ($7.95 | add pepperoni $9.25) : Mozzarella, parmesan, bleu & monterey jack cheeses over housemade marinara 7.95 with pepperoni.
- * Spinach & Artichoke ($8.95) : Spinach, artichoke hearts, onions, sun- dried tomato and mozzarella cheese over housemade marinara.
- * Roasted Vegetable ($8.95) : Yellow & zucchini squash, tomato and red onions sauteed in garlic with mozzarella cheese over pesto sauce.
- Barbeque Chicken ($8.95) : Grilled chicken, mozzarella & bleu cheeses and red onions over our mild Habanero BBQ sauce.
- French Quarter ($8.95) : Grilled chicken breast, andouille sausage, grilled shrimp, onions, peppers and mozzarella cheese over our housemade marinara sauce.
- The Works ($8.95) : Honey-cured ham, pepperoni, onion, green peppers, crumbled bacon, banana pappers and mozzarella cheese over our housemade marinara sauce.
- Philly Steak Pizza ($8.95) : Philly Steak with peppers, onions, and mozzarella cheese over our housemade marinara sauce.
Wraps (Served with Choice of Side Item)
- Chicken Ceasar Wrap ($7.95) : Grilled chicken breast, romaine lettuce, diced tomatoes, red onion, parmesan cheese and ceasar dressing wrapped in a spinach herb tortilla
- * Mexican Quesadilla ($6.95 | add chicken $8.50 | add shrimp $10.50) : Stuffed with our housemade black bean mix, and cheddar cheese. (my wife’s personal favorite!)
- Super-Gyro ($6.95) : Grilled chicken breast, red onion, lettuce, tomato, and tzatziki sauce wrapped in a pita.
- * Grilled Veggie Pita ($6.95) : Yellow & zucchini squash, red onion, mushroom, and tomato grilled with dijon balsamic vinaigrette wrapped in a warm pita.
- Thai Chicken Wrap ($7.95) : Grilled chicken breast, onion, mushroom, lettuce, melted cheddar cheese, and peanut sauce wrapped in a flour tortilla.
- * Black Bean Burrito ($5.95 | add chicken $7.95 | add shrimp $9.95) : Housemade black bean mix, cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream rolled in a sun-dried tomato tortilla.
- * Spinach and Cheese Quesadilla ($6.95 | add chicken $8.50 | add shrimp $10.50) : Fresh spinach, onion, tomato and mozzarella cheese grilled between two flour tortillas; served with fresh salsa and sour cream.
Burgers (Served on a Kaiser Roll with Choice of Side Item)
- Big Burger ($7.50) : Seasoned ground beef, cheddar cheese, lettuce and tomato.
- Smothered Mushrooms ($7.95) : Seasoned ground beef, Swiss cheese, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato and dijonnaise.
- South of The Border ($8.50) Seasoned ground beef, cheddar cheese, salsa, jalapenos and sour cream.
- Triple Onion ($7.95) : Seasoned ground beef, havarti cheese, sauteed mushrooms, red & yellow onion and scallions.
- Blackened Burger ($8.50) : Cajun seasoned ground beef, caramelized onion, tomato and roasted garlic ailoi.
- The Stilton ($8.95) : Seasoned ground beef, melted bleu cheese crumbles, lettuce, tomato and port wine mayo.
- The Southern Stilton ($8.95) : Pimento cheese, bacon and jalapenos.
- * Smothered Garden Veggie Burger ($6.50) : Grilled veggie burger, havarti cheese, caramelized onion, sauteed green pepper and roasted garlic aioli.
Sandwiches (Served w/ Choice of Side Item)
- Roast Beef ($7.95) : Angus roast beef topped with red onion, cheddar cheese, bacon, and housemade mild habanero barbecue sauce served on a toasted kaiser roll.
- Kickin’ Chicken ($7.50) Choose from a hot or mild version. Grilled chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, and your choice of hot or mild housemade habanero barbecue sauce on a kaisser roll.
- First Street Club ($7.95) : Oven-roasted turkey, honey-cured ham, bacon, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a baguette.
- Hot Hammy ($7.95) : Honey-cured ham, melted Swiss Cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion and dijonnaise served hot on toasted rye bread.
- Turkey Bacon Melt ($7.95) : Oven-roasted turkey breast, melted provolone cheese, bacon and dijonnaise served hot on grilled sourdough bread.
- Turkey and Havarti ($6.95) : Oven-roasted turkey, Havarti cheese, lettuce, tomato and cranberry mayo on a toasted wheatberry bread.
- * Pimento Cheese ($5.95) : Housemade pimento cheese on toasted wheat bread.
- Bratwurst ($7.50) : Beer boiled bratwurst with sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard on a toasted baguette.
- Bourbon Street ($8.50) : Grilled chicken breast, andouille sausage, melted provolone cheese, sauteed onions and green peppers andd housemade Cajun remoulade on a toasted Kaiser roll.
- Buffalo Chicken Sandwich ($7.95) : Deep fried chicken breast tossed in Buffalo wing sauce with bacon, lettuce, tomato, cheddar sheese, and ranch dressing on a kaiser roll.
- Steak or Chicken Philly ($7.95) : Your choice of steak or chicken with sauteed onions,mushrooms,green and red peppers, topped with Swiss cheese and garlic aioli on a toasted baguette.
- Grilled Chicken Cordon Bleu ($8.50) : Grilled chicken breast, ham,Swiss cheese, lettuce,tomato and dijonnaisse on a Kaiser roll.
- Fat Reuben ($8.95) : Corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, dijon mustard, and Thousand Island dressing grilled on rye bread.
- Ultimate Meatloaf ($8.50) : Housemade 20-ingredient meatloaf with melted cheddar cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion and spicy ketsup on grilled sourdough bread.
- Black and Bleu Steak Sandwich ($9.95) : Blackened NY strip topped with lettuce,tomato,and bleu cheese crumbles on a toasted baguette.
- * Shrimp or Oyster Po-Boy ($9.50) : Your choice of deep-fried shrimp or oysters with lettuce, tomato and Cajun remoulade on a toasted baguette.
- * Grilled Tuna Sandwich ($9.95) : Marinated w/ Asian flavor,grilled yellowfin tuna steak served medium rare, topped w/ cucumber and wasabi cream sauce on a Kaiser roll (Blackened with Cajun spices upon request).
- * Fried Catfish Sandwich ($8.95) : Breaded Catfish filet fried golden brown and served on a toasted Kaiser roll with our housemade coleslaw and Cajun remoulade.
- * Crab Cake Sandwich ($8.95) : Our housemade crab cake fried to perfection and served with lettuce, tomato and Cajun remoulade on a toasted Kaiser roll.
- Chicken Salad Sandwich ($7.50) : Housemade chicken salad with lettuce and tomato on a croissant.
- Sliced Pork ($7.95) : Marinated, oven-roasted pork loin sliced thin and topped with our mild habanero BBQ sauce, melted Swiss cheese and horseradish mayo on a toasted baguette.
- * Grilled Salmon ($9.95) : Wild-caught Norwegian salmon filet, grilled with lemon pepper seasoning and topped with lettuce, tomato and dill mayo. Served on a toasted Kaiser roll.
- Carrots & celery sticks
- Cole slaw
- French fries
- Fresh fruit
- Macaroni and cheese
- Penne pasta salad
- Potato salad
- Housemade Salsa
- Tortilla chips
Sunday Brunch (11am – 2pm)
All brunch items are served with fresh fruit and your choice of home fried or grits.
- Breakfast Sandwich | Breakfast Burrito ($7.95) : Your choice of bacon or sausage with egg and cheddar cheese on your choice of bread or a croissant.
- First Street Cristo ($7.95) : Ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese stuffed between two pieces of First Street French toast, served with powdered sugar and melba sauce.
- * Southwest Burrito ($7.95) : Eggs and our housemade black bean mix, cheddar cheese, sour cream, jalapenos, and salsa rolled in a flour tortilla.
- Eggs Benedict ($8.95) : Poached eggs with ham on an English muffin topped with hollandaise sauce.
- French Toast ($8.95) : Three grilled sourdough slices topped with powdered sugar, served with your choice of bacon or sausage.
- * Carolina Crab Cake Benedict ($9.95) : Poached eggs with a crab cake on an English muffin, topped with diced tomato and hollandaise sauce.
- Steak or Pork Loin & Eggs ($11.50) : Your choice of grilled NYstrip steak or pork loin and your choice of scrambled or poached eggs, served with sliced tomatoes.
Disclaimer: This website contains reviews, opinions and information regarding products and services manufactured or provided by third parties. We are not responsible in any way for such products and services, and nothing contained here should be construed as a guarantee of the functionality, utility, safety or reliability of any product or services reviewed or discussed. Please follow the directions provided by the manufacturer or service provider when using any product or service reviewed or discussed on this website.