Top Picks for What to Do in Winston-Salem
Weekend of December 13-16, 2012
Top Outdoor Pick:
Tanglewood Festival of Lights
- Now through the New Year
- Tanglewood Park
- 4061 Clemmon Rd, Clemmons, NC
- Admission: Weekends $15/vehicle; Weekdays $10/vehicle (cash only)
Ride in the comfort of your own vehicle, or join a hay ride or carriage ride to view over a million lights in shapes and scenes of the season. Visit the holiday village and craft store and see Santa!
Top Holiday Pick:
Christmas by Candlelight
- December 14 &15
- Tours depart at 6:30, 7, 7:30 & 8PM
- Old Salem
- Tickets: Adults $20; kids $15
- Reservations required: (800) 441-5305
- Each candlelight walking tour explores a different time period, 18th or 19th Century Old Salem. Experience music, games, food, drink, and interact with period-costumed staff as you explore the Single Brothers House, The Tavern and Vierling House. Note: This event sells out quickly.
Top Theatre Pick:
UNCSA's The Nutcracker
- Thursday, December 13, 7:30PM
- Friday, December 14, 7:30PM
- Saturday, December 15, 2PM & 7:30PM
- Sunday, December 16, 2PM & 7PM
- UNCSA's Stevens Center
- 405 W. Fourth St
This enchanting classic ballet, The Nutcracker is a proud tradition of the UNCSA, and a Winston-Salem holiday tradition for many years. The fantastic talent of the dancers, wearing exquisite costumes, set to live orchestra music is simply magical. Note: Thursday's performance will include guest dancers from the New York City Ballet and the American Ballet Theatre. Click the link above to read more!
Top Day Trip/Sports Pick:
Kayak Breakfast on Belews Lake
Nearby Belews Lake offers warm waters because it is a power plant lake. Its waters are used to cool energy producing turbines. Kayakers will receive instruction before paddling 1 1/2 miles, spotting wildlife on the quiet morning lake as they head to a hot breakfast on the shoreline. Guides, equipment, instruction and breakfast provided.
Top Kids Pick:
Saturdays with St. Nick
- Saturday, December 15, 2012
- 11AM-3PM (Tickets stop selling at 2PM)
- Frank L. Horton Museum, Old Salem
- Admission $7; 2 & under FREE
New at Old Salem, children can meet St. Nick each Saturday leading up to Christmas and take a souvenir photo with him. Festivities include storytelling, a holiday snack from Winkler Bakery, music, puppet shows and holiday shopping. Tickets sold only at the Frank L. Horton Museum.
NC Black Repertory Company:
- Friday, December 14 at 8PM
- Saturday, December 15 at 8PM
- Sunday, December 16 at 3PM
- Arts Council Theatre
- 610 Coliseum Dr., Winston-Salem
- Tickets: Adults $24; students/seniors $20; kids 12 & under $15
This is the 11th annual production of Langston Hughes' Black Nativity by the North Carolina Black Repertory Company. Reviews for this year's show tout it as "tighter than ever." Expect to hear classic Christmas carols and rhythmic drums, see vibrant costumes and lively dances in this performance.
Krankies Craft Fair
- Friday, December 14, 5-10PM
- Saturday, December 15, 9AM-3PM
- Krankies Coffee
- 211 E. Third St., Winston-Salem
- Admission: FREE
Buy locally handcrafted art, knitted accessories, soaps, ornaments, fresh produce, pottery and so much more just in time for Christmas!
Enter Our Local
Holiday Gift Giveaway!
- Every week through late December we are giving our fans a chance to win one of eight prizes from some of our favorite local Winston-Salem businesses in honor of the holiday season!
- Enter and invite your friends to enter at www.MyWinston-Salem.com
- This week, we are giving away an 18-count box of Haute Chocolate holiday truffles!
Invite Your Friends to Subscribe to Our Weekend Roundup Newsletter