Top Picks for What to Do in Winston-Salem Weekend of August 16-19, 2012
Top Cinema Pick: Cinema Under the Stars Presents: "To Kill a Mockingbird"
- Friday, August 17, 2012
- Reynolda House Museum of American Art
- 2250 Reynolda Rd. Winston-Salem, NC 27106
- Admission: $5
Gates open at 8PM. "To Kill a Mockingbird" shows at 9PM on the lawn of Reynolda House. Picnics and lawn chairs are encouraged. Beer and wine will be available for purchase. In case of rain, the film will be shown in the auditorium.
Top Family Pick:
Discount Friday Night at the Children's Museum of Winston-Salem
Enjoy all the Children's Museum of Winston-Salem has to offer at a deeply discounted rate!
Top Music Pick:
Levon Helm Tribute Concert & CD Release party
- Saturday, August 18, 2012
- Doors open at 7PM
- 170 W. Ninth St. Winston-Salem, NC 27101
- Tickets: $7
Some of the finest musicians in the Triad have come together to produce a tribute CD and performance to Levon Helm. Artists include Tyler Nail, Jonathan Loos, Joe Jones, Big Ron Hunter, Caleb Caudle, Quique Rodriguez-Pastor, Nate Lee, Lee & Susan Terry, Rebecca Dresser, The Two Timers, Blue Gospel Avengers, Trey & Diana Caldwell, Allison David, and others. The compilation CD will be available at Earshot (3254 Silas Creek Parkway) and also from the individual artists.
Top Sports Pick:
Wake Forest University Football Fan Fest
Take the field and kick of the WFU football season! Enjoy live music, inflatables, autographs from the football team, meet Coach Grobe, the cheerleaders and other fall sports teams. Free football posters, snacks and more. Fans will be allowed on the field beginning at 5 p.m. and teams will arrive at 6 p.m.
Top Theatre Pick:
Taking My Turn: Staged Musical
- Saturday, August 18, 2012 at 8PM
- Sunday, August 19, 2012 at 2PM
- Theater Alliance
- 1047 West Northwest Boulevard Winston-Salem, NC 27101
- Tickets: $16
This staged musical, "Taking My Turn: A Musical Celebration" celebrates the joys of aging and benefits the Shepherd's Center of Greater Winston-Salem. Music by Gary William Friedman, lyrics by Will Holt.
Alive & Kickin':
Cowboy Songs of America's Wild West
Join Martha Bassett, Mary Siebert and friends for a round up of Old West cowboy songs and stories of the origins of tunes like "Home on the Range" and "Streets of Laredo".
Summer on Trade: Possum Jenkins
- Saturday, August 18, 2012
- Trade St. – Downtown Arts District
The Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership presents Possum Jenkins playing Appalachian soul, or "Carolinacana". Lawn chairs welcome.
Invite Your Friends to Subscribe to Our Weekend Roundup Newsletter
- Invite your friends to subscribe to your weekly Weekend Roundup so they too will know the top things to do each weekend!
- Have an event? Send us details at www.MyWinston-Salem.com/Contact.
- And don't forget to "Like" us on Facebook to stay in touch throughout the week.