Top Picks for What to Do in Winston-Salem
Holiday Weekend of December 20-23, 2012
Top Outdor Pick:
Tanglewood Festival of Lights
- Now through the New Year
- Tanglewood Park
- 4061 Clemmons Rd, Clemmons, NC
- Admission: Weekends $15/vehicle; Weekdays $10/vehicle (cash only)
Ride in the comfort of your own vehicle, or join a hay ride or carriage ride to view over a million lights in shapes and scenes of the season. Visit the holiday village and craft store and see Santa!
Top Holiday Pick:
Christmas by Candlelight
- December 21 &22
- Tours depart at 6:30, 7, 7:30 & 8PM
- Old Salem
- Tickets: Adults $20; kids $15
- Reservations required: (800) 441-5305
Each candlelight walking tour explores a different time period, 18th or 19th Century Old Salem. Experience music, games, food, drink, and interact with period-costumed staff as you explore the Single Brothers House, The Tavern and Vierling House. Note: This event sells out quickly.
Top Kids Pick:
A Children’s Christmas Carol
- Friday, December 21, 7-8PM
- Saturday, December 22, 2-3PM
- The Children’s Theatre
- 610 Coliseum Dr.
- Tickets: Adults $10; kids $5
Children and adults alike will enjoy this loose adaptation of the Dickens classic Christmas tale by the Children’s Theatre Playhouse.
Top Music Pick:
Holidays with Camel City Jazz Orchestra
- Friday, December 21 at 7:30PM
- Saturday, December 22 at 2PM
- Hanesbrands Theatre
- 209 N. Spruce St.
- Friday: Adult $25; Student/Senior $18
- Saturday: Adults $20; Students $12
Camel City Jazz Orchestra, the Piedmont Triad’s resident Big Band, will feature holiday classics during its holiday concert series. Note: Their last performance sold out!
Top Apocalyptic Pick:
End of the World Party
According to the Mayan calendar, Friday at midnight is the “end of the world“. Bring a dish for a potluck “Last Supper”. Enjoy “last chance karaoke” beginning at 9PM, and the countdown and complimentary celebratory champagne toast at midnight.
Victorian Christmas at Korner’s Folly
- Thursday-Saturday 10AM-5PM
- Candlelight Tour Saturday 6-9PM
- Sunday 1-5PM
- 413 S. Main St., Kernersville
- Admission: Adults $10; Kids 6-18 $6, 5 & under free
Explore the 22 rooms of Korner’s Folly, a 131 year old home, all decked out in Victorian Christmas decorations. Enjoy the special candlelight tour Saturday night. All visitors must arrive at least one hour before closing.
Saturdays with St. Nick
- Saturday, December 22, 2012
- 11AM-3PM (Tickets stop selling at 2PM)
- Frank L. Horton Museum, Old Salem
- Admission $7; 2 & under FREE
New at Old Salem, children can meet St. Nick each Saturday leading up to Christmas and take a souvenir photo with him. Festivities include storytelling, a holiday snack from Winkler Bakery, music, puppet shows and holiday shopping. Tickets sold only at the Frank L. Horton Museum.
Enter Our Local
Holiday Gift Giveaway!
- Our second to last week of December we are giving our fans a chance to win one of eight prizes from some of our favorite local Winston-Salem businesses in honor of the holiday season!
- Enter and invite your friends to enter at www.MyWinston-Salem.com
- This week, we are giving away a $20 gift certificate to Camino Bakery!
Invite Your Friends to Subscribe to Our Weekend Roundup Newsletter