Top Picks for What to Do in Winston-Salem
Weekend of July 13-15, 2012
Top Cultural Pick:
Strong Sun Pow Wow
- Friday, July 13-Sunday, July 15
- Tanglewood Park Amphitheater, Clemmons, NC
- Admission: Kids under 4 Free; Kids 5 & up $4; Adults $7; Veterans & Seniors FREE; Concert at the Red Barn $10
- This Native American Intertribal event will feature dancers in regalia, pow wow drums, Native American crafts, demonstrations and a birds of prey exhibit. There will be a special focus on children's activities on Friday. Sunday, July 15th at 6:30 pm there will be a concert at the Red Barn (admission $10) by John Sarantos, famous flute player, Appalachian music with Native American influences, storytellers and more. Gates open at 9:30 am Friday & Saturday and close at 8pm; open Sunday from noon to 5:30 pm.
Top Family Pick:
Krispy Kreme 75th Birthday Weekend
- Friday, July 13, 7-10 pm: Krispy Kreme Block Party & Glaze the Nation Tour Stop at Trade Street & 6th Street
- Saturday, July 14, 9 am-noon: Family Fan Fest at Old Salem
- FREE with Hot Glazed Doughnuts at every event!
- Come out and celebrate the Krispy Kreme doughnut in this fun-filled, family weekend of fun! At 10 am on Saturday, a permanent Krispy Kreme marker will be dedicated in Old Salem to commemorate the location of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut shop.
Top Charity Pick:
The Shalom Project: Big Chill IV
(& Ice Cream!)
- Sunday, July 15, 3-6 PM
- Grace Court Park, Fourth St., Winston-Salem, NC
- Adults $5, children $3
- Touted as "Winston-Salem's biggest ice cream party", this event serves up homemade ice cream for a cause which clothes, feeds and tutors the needy in Winston-Salem. The event features local celebrities "sitting on ice", as well as live music by Big Ron Hunter, The Ken Rhodes Trio, and Wurlitzer Prize.
Top Outdoor Pick:
Bethania Butterfly Expedition
- Saturday, July 14, 10 am
- Historic Bethania Visitor Center
- 5393 Ham Horton Lane (corner of Bethania Rd & Main St, Bethania)
- Dr. Ken Bridle will lead hikers through fields and along the creek in a search for native butterflies that frequent the area. Call 336-691-0088 for more info.
Top Wine Pick:
Graylyn's Pour Du Jour Tour
- Sunday, July 15, 4:30-6:30 pm
- Graylyn Estate
- Reynolda Rd, Winston-Salem, NC
- $20 per person
- Call for Reservations: 336-758-2425
- Enjoy a guided tour of the Graylyn Estate, two glass of Graylyn wine and a cheese and fruit reception.
Want to be included in our weekly
Weekend Roundup Newsletter?