Top Picks for What to Do in Winston-Salem
Weekend of June 8 – 10, 2012
Top Foodie Pick:
Twin City Ribfest
- June 7-9 11 am-11 pm & Sunday, June 10, noon-5 pm
- 500 N. Marshall St. in the parking lot of the Winston-Salem Journal
- Admission: $7; kids 12 & under FREE
- Lunch Admission Thursday & Friday: $1
- Look for $2 off coupon in the Winston-Salem Journal and Relish, plus $2 off admission for 2 on Sunday with a church bulletin.
- Rib aficionados from around the country gather to serve up their best. Enjoy live blues music and karaoke, entertainment and rides for the kids.
Top Music Pick:
The Music Academy of the American South (MAAS)
- Friday, June 8 – Sunday, June 10, 2012, 7:30 pm each night
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts (UNCSA)
- Workshops are FREE
- Tickets for evening performances $25; Students/seniors $20 available at the Stevens Center Box Office on Fourth St. or uncsa.edu/performances.
- During the day, enjoy free workshops with renowned musicians in songwriting, banjo-playing and guitar makers. The bluegrass group The Del McCoury Band performs Friday night along with Martha Basset and the blues and gospel group The Branchettes. Saturday night, experience New Orleans jazz with Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Tony Rice and the high energy folk music of The Tres Amigos. The event closes Sunday with a performance at the St. Phillips Heritage Center at Old Salem with bluegrass and country singer Jim Lauderdale, the blues-gospel Bishop Dready manning and the blues duo Bump and Logie.
Top Art Pick:
- Friday, June 8, 2012, 5-9 pm
- Downtown Kernersville, NC
- An evening stroll of art, wine and live music in downtown Kernersville. North Carolina wine tastings for $5. The event is rain or shine. Art, wineries and musicians will be inside.
Top Outdoor Pick:
West Salem Garden Tour m
- June 9, 2012, 10 am-4 pm
- 509 South Green St.
- Winston-Salem, NC
- Tickets: Adults $12, children 12 & under FREE, $10 rate for groups of 4+, West Salem residents, and any garden club member.
- Tour 18 beautiful gardens of Historic West Salem, including historic cottage gardens, community gardens, permaculture, the first home garden in Old Salem, hydroponics, native plants, organics and Asian-inspired gardens. Enjoy storytelling, a local food demonstration and samples by Screaming Rooster Restaurant, and a demo by the Forsyth County Cooperative Extension. Door prizes.
Top Family Pick: Winston-Salem Dash Baseball Game with Fireworks
- Winston-Salem Dash vs. Wilmington Blue Rocks Baseball Game
- Friday, June 8, 2012, 7 pm
- BB&T Ballpark – 951 Ballpark Way, Downtown WS
- Tickets at the gate: $5- $20
- Post Game Fireworks!
Backyard Barbecue & Brews
- Thursday, June 7, 2012, 6-8 pm
- Reynolda House Museum & Gardens
- Members/Students: FREE, non-members $8
- Celebrate summer in Reynolda's backyard with Bib's Downtown barbecue, a beer tasting by Red Oak Brewery and live music by the acoustic Americana band Red June. Also enjoy garden games and art activities.
Downtown Jazz Concert:
- Friday, June 8, 2012, 6-9 pm
- Corpening Plaza – Downtown WS
- Bring your lawn chair and enjoy jazz outdoors in Downtown Winston-Salem.
Queen of Hearts Garden Party
- Friday, June 8, 2012, 7 pm
- Old Salem Visitors Center
- 900 Old Salem Road – Winston-Salem, NC
- Tickets: $50 at the door
- Join the Queen of Hearts and the Mad Hatter at the 2012 Queen of Hearts Garden Party. All proceeds benefit the Winston-Salem Youth Chorus. Enjoy live jazz, heavy hors d'oeuvres, beer and wine, flamingo races and a live and silent auction of fabulous items.
Raylen Sunset Musical Flight
- Friday, June 8, 2012, 6:30-8:30 pm
- Raylen Vineyards
- 3577 Hwy 158 – Mocksville, NC
- FREE event (wine and food available for purchase)
- Featuring the Aubrey Shamel band. Wine, gourmet cheese and crackers and ice cream available for purchase. Picnic baskets and lawn chairs permitted. Please leave coolers and pets at home.
Back to the 80's Concert
Brenner Children's Hospital Benefit
- Friday, June 8, 2012, 8 pm
- 821 N. Trade St – Winston-Salem, NC
- $8 advance/$10 day of
- The WS City Dash Annual 80's Party with the Plaids. 80's Video DJ kicks things off at 8 pm. The Plaids com on at 10pm.
Wine Pairings Dinner
- Saturday, June 9, 2012, 6:30 pm
- The Piedmont Club
- $75 per person; $65 Wine Society members.
- Reservations Recommended: (336)724-7077
- Join the wine committee for a competition-style dinner. Diners choose wines they think pair best with each course. Prizes for the winners.
Want to be included in our weekly Weekend Roundup Newsletter?
Send us details on your event at www.MyWinston-Salem.com/Contact.
And don't forget to"Like" us on Facebook to stay in touch throughout the week.