To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
“Boogity boogity boogity, let’s go racing, boys!” is part of the Southern lexicon. The souped-up cars of NASCAR have Southern roots that go back to moonshine-running during prohibition days. It’s many a kid’s (and many adults’) dream to take one of these cars for a spin on the track, making the Richard Petty Driving Experience a great gift idea for Father’s Day (or birthday or Christmas or any day, really).
Feel like the King of the Road by getting behind the wheel of a NASCAR race car with the Richard Petty Driving Experience.
The original site is only an hour away from Winston-Salem at Charlotte Motor Speedway (formerly Lowe’s Motor Speedway), located in Concord, NC. It is “the fastest form of entertainment in Charlotte,” offering both driving experiences and even faster ride-alongs.
Due to its success, the Richard Petty Driving Experience has spread to more than 20 racetracks across the country and can even be found in Vegas, which also offers night rides!
Here’s the locations currently available (alphabetical order) with a quick description of each racetrack.
The locations include the infamous Daytona International Speedway, home of the Daytona 500, as well as Talladega, the longest Nascar oval at 2.66 miles!
- Alabama (Talladega)
- The infamous Talladega Superspeedway – the longest NASCAR oval – 2.66 miles long featuring 33 degrees banking in the turns.
- Talladega Superspeedway – 3366 Speedway Blvd. Lincoln, AL, 35096
- A 1.54-mile quad-oval race track with 24 degree banking in the turns.
- Atlanta Motor Speedway – 1500 Tara Place, Hampton Georgia, 30228
- Arizona (Phoenix)
- A 1 mile, low-banked tri-oval race track with 8 to 9 degrees of banking in the turns.
- Phoenix Raceway 7602 – Jimmie Johnson Drive. Avondale, AZ, 85323
- A large, two-mile, D-shaped oval super speedway with 14 degrees banking in the turns.
- Auto Club Speedway – 9300 Cherry Ave, Fontana, CA, 92335
- Delaware (Dover)
- A 1 mile oval race track with 24 degree banking in the turns.
- Dover Motor Speedway – 1131 N Dupont Hwy, Dover, DE, 19901
- Florida (Daytona)
- You read that right! The Richard Petty experience is available at the famous Daytona International Speedway – home of the infamous Daytona 500, the most prestigious race in NASCAR. The course features multiple layouts including the large primary 2.5-mile oval speedway with 31 degrees of banking in the turns.
- Daytona International Speedway – 1801 W. International Speedway Blvd. Daytona Beach, FL, 32114
- Florida (Homestead)
- A 1.157 mile oval speedway with 20 degrees banking in the turns.
- Homestead Miami Speedway – 1 Speedway Blvd., Homestead, FL, 33035
- A 1.5-mile tri-oval race track with 17 to 20 degrees of banking in the turns.
- Kansas Speedway – 400 Speedway Blvd., Kansas City, KS, 66111
- 1.5-mile tri-oval speedway with 17 degrees banking in the turns.
- Kentucky Speedway – 4760 Sparta Pike, Sparta, KY, 41086
- A two-mile, D-shaped superspeedway with 18 degree banking and 73-foot wide sweeping turns.
- Michigan International Speedway – 12626 US-12 Brooklyn, MI, 49230
- Nevada (Las Vegas)
- A 1.5-mile tri-oval race track with 12 to 20 degrees of banking in the turns.
- Las Vegas Motor Speedway – 7000 Las Vegas Blvd. North, Las Vegas, NV, 89115
- New Hampshire
- A 1.058-mile oval speedway with variable banking at 2/7 degrees (12% grade), and in straightaways 1 degree banking.
- New Hampshire Motor Speedway 1122 NH-106, Loudon, NH 03307
- North Carolina (Charlotte -Original Location)
- The original location – a 1.5 mile quad oval track with 24 degrees banking in the turns.
- Charlotte Motor Speedway – 5555 Concord Parkway S, Concord NC, 28027
- Tennessee (Nashville)
- A 1.33 mile oval track with 14 degrees banking in the turns.
- Nashville Superspeedway – 4847-F McCreary Road Lebanon, TN, 37090
- A 1.50-mile oval, banked 24 degrees in the turns.
- Texas Motor Speedway – 3545 Lone Star Circle Fort Worth, TX, 76177
- Virginia (Richmond)
- A 0.75 miles, D-shaped, asphalt race track with 14 degrees banking in the turns.
- Richmond Raceway – 600 E. Laburnum Ave. Richmond, VA, 23222
How Fast Can You Go?
With the Ride-Along Experience, you will ride shotgun in a two-seat NASCAR race car driven by a professional instructor at top speeds up to 165 mph for three full-track laps! The more track time you buy, the faster you’ll go.
Track Times Available
In addition to the introductory 3-lap ride-along, you are able to purchase track times ranging from 5 minutes all the way up to 48 minutes. Once you’ve completed at least a 32-minute experience, there is also the Advanced Experience (costs extra at Daytona and Talladega).
Although reservations are not required, call before heading to the track to confirm the date/time of the Ride-Along, especially for Father’s Day: 1-800- 237-3889.
Bonus: Teens, ages 14-19, can participate in a Ride-Along Experience at a discount when their parent/guardian purchases one as well.
Driving A NASCAR Race Car
Driving Experiences do require reservations and include their most popular, “Rookie Experience,” in which participants drive a 600 horsepower NASCAR race car for eight laps, with other track rides (up to 50 laps) available.
Testimonials For The Richard Petty Driving Experience
I asked around before sitting down to pen this post. Here are what some of my friends had to say about the experience.
[My friends] absolutely loved it… worth every penny!Tara, Mt. Airy, NC
All had a blast!Elecia, Claudville, VA
I’ve done it twice! The driving part is cool, but the ride along is even better. You get to go a lot faster than when you are driving. 180 mph is pretty sweet!David, Winston-Salem, NC
It was great! Nothing like the roar and rumble of 900 horsepower!Justin, Mt. Airy, NC
My dad LOVED it!Sean, Concord, NC
My dad just returned from the one in Las Vegas and said it was the best experience!Elaine, Winston-Salem, NC
148 mph of awesomeness!Danielle, Winston-Salem, NC
Eight laps at 164 mph that felt like 364 mph! Fastest 10 minutes of my life!Trey, Mt. Airy, NC
Did it on a dare — huge adrenaline rush! …. Best part was that my finish time was better than the (male) friend who dared me to do it. I got a lot of ‘mileage’ out of that win.Sarah, Winston-Salem, NC
Whether it’s for Father’s Day, birthday or bachelor party, it’s a unique gift of “life in the fast lane” that will not be forgotten!
Richard Petty Driving Experience | (800) 237-3889
Your Source For Fun In Winston-Salem!
Finished at the track and want to go celebrate at a local restaurant or brewery? Or checkout our events category for your next local experience in our beautiful city.Tagged With: