To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
Hoots Beer Co. (formerly Hoots Roller Bar) is a gem hidden in the corner at the end of Mill Works Street. It may be hard to find the first time you go, but once you have been there, you will want to return. You enter through the outdoor seating area lit with tiny lights. It is dim inside, but there is a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. A pinball machine lights up the corner. There are booths and a bar. Hoots is a place where you want to meet, have a beer and relax. It is a neighborhood bar where everyone is welcome.
What Do They Brew
Hoots opened their doors in 2013 as a developing brewery and now has six to nine of their own craft brews on tap at any given time. They also serve select wines and have a full bar for cocktails.
Check out Hoots’ new Fall Cocktails:
- Sweater Weather – Bourbon, chai, lemon, orange, fig bitters, and cinnamon
- Apple Snap – Sutler’s gin, apple cider, lemon, ginger beer, and nutmeg
- Cider Spritz – Aperol, pumpkin spice, cider, bubbles, nutmeg, and cinnamon
- Spressotini – Jameson Cold Brew, vanilla vodka, Kahlua, espresso simple, with a coffee bean and nutmeg garnish
Some of their more popular beers are: Grasshopper IPA and Helles Lager. Other brews are more likely to change with new ones taking their place.
Craft Brew Making A Comeback
They had one craft beer on their list for many years, but it’s been missing this year. ESB is making a comeback soon. Regulars should be happy to hear that.
Take Their Craft Brews Home
One feature Hoots offers that other breweries may not provide is letting you take your favorite craft brew and enjoy it at home. They can fill 22-ounce cans or six-packs with the beer of your choice and seal them so you can purchase them to go.
Tacos And Turntables
Once a month, Hoots hosts Tacos and Turntables, an event that features a Special Guest DJ and Taqueria Luciano food truck. Check out Hoots’ Facebook page for details, the date of the next one, and other events and specials.
The Unique West End Mill Works
The unique building that houses Hoots is West End Mill Works, once part of a flour mill, Hoots Roller Mill Company. It is from that Hoots Brewing took its name. The building is now a co-op of businesses like Hoots, which includes
- Sutler’s Spirit Co., a distillery of fine gin proud of its heritage recipes, hand-made by NC natives, a homage to its hometown of Winston-Salem
- The Porch Kitchen and Cantina serving authentic Tex-Mex, Margaritas, Tacos, Burritos, and more
- Dabble Art Bar: order an activity from the menu and release your creativity, allow it to flow, and enjoy the experience. Workshops are available, and visit their fantastic gift shop
- The Breathing Room is a center for holistic wellness, yoga, and arts. It offers yoga classes, massage, skincare, counseling, and psychic readings
Hoots Location And Hours
- 840 Mill Works Street, Winston-Salem, NC
- Mon-Thurs, 4pm – 10pm
- Fri, 4pm – 12am
- Sat, 2pm – 12am
- Sun, 1pm – 10pm
Another Small Brewery Making A Big Impact
A love of craft beers will lead you to many of the breweries here in Winston-Salem to try their brews. Be sure not to miss Small Batch. It’s a great little place with 13 of their craft beers on tap and great food on the menu.
Do you enjoy visiting breweries to try the different craft beers? Tell us in the comments.Tagged With: Beer, Brewery