To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
The Moravian Candle Tea at Old Salem has been a Winston-Salem Christmas tradition since 1929. Participants experience the sights, sounds, smells, and even the tastes of early Moravian Christmas traditions.
Experience Early Moravian Traditions
Guides wearing early Moravian period attire lead guests in a tour of the Single Brothers House on Salem Square in Old Salem. In the “saal,” or chapel, guests sing carols accompanied by a restored 1797 Tannenburg organ. Breathe in the scent of little handmade Moravian beeswax candles with their accompanying red fringe.
Guests can watch demonstrations of the making of these, view the lighted nativity scene, and the “putz” — a detailed miniature wintry scene of 1900’s Old Salem. As a special treat, guests enjoy a warm mug of Moravian coffee to wash down the fresh-baked Moravian sugar cake.
The event, organized by the Women’s Fellowship of Home Moravian Church in Old Salem, draws around 10,000 visitors each year. Proceeds benefit many charitable causes.
Candle Tea 2022 Schedule
The main candle tea event is in Old Salem at Single Brother’s House. We are also posting information about the candle tea held at Ardmore Moravian church.
Old Salem Candle Tea
Candle Tea will be held in Old Salem at Single Brother’s House (600 Main St.) on the following days/times:
- Dec 1 – 3, and Dec 8 – 10
- Thurs – Sat (1pm – 8:30pm)
- Dec 6
- Tue (9am – 12pm)
Reserve Your Time Slot!
Advance reservations are scheduled for all times during the regular operating hours. Reservations are limited to 25 per 15-minute admission slot. Reserve your slot here. Walk-in guests will be accommodated as space is available.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How much does Old Salem candle tea cost?
- $8 for adults and children.
- School and Scout teas (an abbreviated version of the regular candle teas) are $2 per student/scout or accompanying adult.
- Who manages the event?
- Candle Tea is completely staffed by volunteers. All proceeds go to outreach ministries locally and globally. Your visit helps people in need around the world.
- Can I use my Old Salem Museum & Gardens ticket?
- No, the Museum & Gardens pass is not valid for this event.
- What forms of payment are accepted?
- If you register in advance using the reserve your slot option above, you may pay with credit card.
- Walk-in’s/at the door – only cash and checks are accepted.
- Is there a contact phone number for additional questions?
- For questions not answered here or additional information, call 336-749-9463.
Ardmore Moravian Church Candle Tea
The Ardmore Moravian Church candle tea and bake sale is held on Thursday, December 1st. Candle tours start every 15 minutes, beginning at 5pm and ending at 8pm. There is no admission fee, but there will be a bake sale and proceeds go towards supporting the event. More information at ArdmoreMoravian.org.
The Spirit Of Candle Tea (Video)
This video, narrated by pastor Ginny Tobiassen and produced by Britton Sear, captures the spirit of Candle Tea at Home Moravian Church.
Learn The Meaning And Origins Of The Moravian Star
I love the first signs of Christmas in Winston-Salem, NC, when Moravian stars light up porches, line the streets of downtown, and a giant 31-foot Moravian star is installed atop the tower of Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, shining like a beacon. Learn about the origins of this legendary star that date back to 1820.Tagged With: History, Old Salem