How do we keep this site running? This post may contain affiliate links — the cost is the same to you, but we get a referral fee. Compensation does not affect rankings. Thanks!
Taking spin class to the next level, CycleBar offers a state-of-the-art facility and energized workouts. The MyWinston-Salem team was pumped to try out the new CycleBar indoor cycling studio during their comp Grand Opening rides.
Guests are welcomed with a bright, clean and modern environment. Prior to class, members make an online reservation and are given their bike number. Upon arrival, members will find cycling shoes in a cubby marked with that bike number in the shoe size provided in the reservation. CycleBar offers a high-energy ride in their “cycle theatre,” complete with dim colorful lighting and motivating music to energize the ride experience. The tiered cycling theatre holds around 55 cycles. Each cycle has a personal digital monitor to track gear and rpms. Personal stats for most (but not all) of the bikes are shown a few times during class on two large flat screen TVs. A 4-lb. and a 5-lb. bar are located on each side of the front wheel of the cycle for the arm workout.
There are also free CycleBar water bottles, a water bottle filling station (carbonated and flat filtered water!), showers (one in the male locker room and two in the ladies locker room), lockers, hair ties and bobby pins, robes, wet clothing bags, toiletries and healthy snacks provided.
Each ride offers strength and endurance training, hills, an arm workout and cool down stretch. Rides include the “Classic” ride, “Performance” ride for those more experienced and group challenges, “Connect” rides, which offer a more centered ride with video monitors off. Themed and charitable rides as well as private events are offered.
We participated in a noon class, which is usually an intense 30-minute workout designed to fit into your lunch hour. The overall vibe is young, high-energy and a focus on building community around a lifestyle brand.
Following the ride, participants will receive an email containing their personal stats and once they ride again, will be able to compare progress against their earlier rides.
What We Loved About It
- You receive a full body workout, including arm weights and toning while cycling.
- Energetic and motivating instructor and helpful staff
- Fast-paced with lots of motivation and encouragement from the instructor
- State-of-the-art cycles – new, sturdy, clean
- It’s an intense workout but they suggest customizing your workout to your pace by selecting the gear, rpm range that’s right for you.
- High-tech: Technology is advanced and smooth for a customized experience. Register for classes online, checkin on location with a tablet and your shoe in your size is ready! Monitoring offers personalized feedback on-screen with your position vs. other riders in the class, adding to the competitive spirit and a post-ride stats report arrives by email.
- Classes are offered in 30- or 45-minute sessions and run on time to give you a full body workout in under an hour.
- High-energy with cool colorful mood lighting and music
- Free cycling shoes, towels, water bottles, hair ties, bobby pins and a snack and ocas
- Convenient location downtown
- Incoming neighbors Village Juice is a nice compliment!
- Parking nearby is not always easy to find or free.
- Rates are higher than expected. Other than the first class (free), you will need a membership or to pay the drop-in rate ($22).
- Assistance needed getting your cycling shoes in and out of the pedals for all but experienced spinners as it’s not intuitive.
- Not every cyclist’s stats are shown in the rankings on the TV screens (this may be a pro or a con for you).
- Only one shower in the men’s locker room.
New to CycleBar?
First time CycleBar riders receive a free class and a special “New Rider” member package offer. Arrive 10-15 minutes early to get your cycling shoes on, put your belongings in a locker and let the instructor help adjust your bike for your height. The classes start promptly at the scheduled time so you will need to be ready to go when class starts.
CycleBar is easy to find, located at 400 West Fourth Street on the ground floor of the Twin City Lofts Building (former Gold’s gym location). However, parking might not be so easy to find at that location. Another plus of the location is Village Juice is coming soon next door in the same building. What a duo!
400 W. Fourth St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
What intrigues you most about CycleBar? Are you ready to give it a try?