To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
CycleBar offers a state-of-the-art facility and energized workouts. It is a music-driven, instructor-led cardio cycling class that is a fun, low-impact workout. It is appropriate for all fitness levels. CycleBar is focused on your emotional as well as physical well-being. It blasts calories and pumps up your cardio in a supportive riding community, regardless of your ability or fitness goals.
Guests are welcomed with a bright, clean, and modern environment. Before class, riders make an online reservation and are given their bike number. Upon arrival, riders will find cycling shoes to use in a cubby marked with that bike number in the shoe size provided in the reservation. If you choose to bring your cycling shoes, you must check with the studio to be sure the cleats on your shoes are compatible with their pedals. They should be Delta or SPD clips. It is suggested riders wear a tank or T-shirt and form-fitting athletic shorts or pants. There is no need to bring anything else. CycleBar provides complimentary water bottles, a filling station (carbonated and flat filtered water), lockers, hair ties and bobby pins, robes, wet clothing bags, toiletries, and healthy snacks.
CycleBar offers a high-energy ride in their “cycle theatre,” complete with dim, colorful lighting and motivating music to energize the ride experience. The tiered cycling theatre holds around 55 Schwinn cycles. Each cycle has a personal digital monitor to track gear and rpms. Individual stats for most (but not all) of the bikes are shown a few times during class on two large flat-screen TVs. A 4-lb. and a 5-lb. bar are located on each side of the cycle’s front wheel for the arm workout.
There are two unisex restrooms with showers and complimentary toiletries for your use. CycleBar does not have childcare.
Each ride features “CycleBeats,” a playlist bringing pedal-turning, heart-pumping, mood-elevating fun. Winston-Salem CycleBar Rides include the “Classic” ride, which offers strength and endurance training, hills and drills, and the “Connect” ride for those who wish to unplug. The video monitors are off, and you tune into the beats, the “Empower” ride, an athletic ride where you tap into strength, power, and mindset, and the “New Strength” ride, where you find synchronized movement, music, and muscle engagement in every stroke. Themed and charitable rides and private events are also offered. Instructors set the upbeat mood for whatever ride you choose, educating and motivating and keeping the pace and energy flowing to help you improve your performance and reach your goals. Calories burned depend on a person’s body weight and metabolism.
Personal Experience At CycleBar
We participated in a noon class, which is usually an intense 30-minute workout designed to fit into your lunch hour. The overall vibe is young, high-energy and a focus on building community around a lifestyle brand.Kristi Marion – CycleBar rider and MyWinston-Salem.com Writer
Following the ride, participants will receive an email containing their personal stats, and once they ride again, they will be able to compare their progress against their earlier rides.
What We Loved About It
- You receive a full body workout, including arm weights and toning while cycling.
- Energetic and motivating instructor and helpful staff
- Fast-paced with lots of motivation and encouragement from the instructor
- State-of-the-art cycles, sturdy, clean
- It’s an intense workout, but they suggest customizing your workout to your pace by selecting the gear, rpm range that’s right for you.
- High-tech: Technology is advanced and smooth for a customized experience. Register for classes online, check in on location, and your shoe in your size is ready! Monitoring offers personalized feedback on-screen with your position vs. other riders in the class, adding to the competitive spirit, and a post-ride stats report arrives by email.
- Classes are offered in 30- or 45-minute sessions and run on time to give you a full body workout in under an hour.
- High-energy with cool, colorful mood lighting and music
- Free cycling shoes, towels, water bottles, hair ties, bobby pins and a snack
- Convenient location downtown
- Parking nearby is not always easy to find or free.
- Assistance needed getting your cycling shoes in and out of the pedals for all but experienced spinners, as it’s not intuitive.
- Not every cyclist’s stats are shown in the rankings on the TV screens (this may be a pro or a con for you).
CycleBar Memberships And Packages
Following are the membership costs for CycleBar Winston-Salem as of January 2024. The membership auto renews monthly. Rides do not roll over. Memberships cannot be used at other locations. To cancel a membership, members must give a 30-day notice by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4 Rides Monthly – $79
- 8 Rides Monthly – $129
- Unlimited Rides Monthly – $169
CycleBar also has packages for purchase. They cannot be used at other locations.
- 5 Pack – $119 (30 day expiration)
- 10 Pack – $229 (3 month expiration)
- 20 Pack – $399 (6 month expiration)
Single ride drop-in price is $27.
CycleBar offers a 20% discount to students and medical personnel.
New to CycleBar?
First-time CycleBar riders receive a $10 class and a special “New Rider” member package offer of a 3-pack for $49. Arrive 10-15 minutes early to get your cycling shoes on, put your belongings in a locker, and let the instructor help adjust your bike for your height. The classes start promptly at the scheduled time, so you must be ready to go when class starts. It is suggested riders wear a tank or T-shirt and form-fitting athletic shorts or pants.
CycleBar is easy to find at 400 West Fourth Street on the ground floor of the Twin City Lofts Building (former Gold’s gym location), on the corner of W 4th Street and Marshall Street. Parking is available along Marshall Street, in the Public Parking Lot next to The 1st Presbyterian Church, or in the Cherry/Marshall Parking Deck.
Working At Or Owning A Cyclebar
If you are interested in working as an instructor at a CycleBar or owning a franchise, you can visit the CycleBar Website. At the bottom of their site, under company, choose careers, and under opportunity, choose franchise to find more information.
- 400 W. Fourth Street, Winston-Salem, NC
- (336) 829-5795
- Winston-Salem CycleBar Website
Another Type Of Exercise
CycleBar will get your heart pumping along with your legs as you ride to fitness. For those looking for a less active exercise and intense method of increasing your well-being, consider yoga as an alternative.
Think you’ll give Cyclebar a try? What’s your favorite in-town workout? Let us know in the comments!